Every weekend or lazy weekday evening, what is better than lighting a fire for a braai? For your next braai, try these seville orange chicken skewers. Packed with flavour infused by a homemade orange marinade, this tasty bite will wake up your taste buds to a taste sensation.
Preparing these appetising seville orange chicken skewers will not take much of your time. Just ensure you allow the chicken to marinate for at least one hour in the homemade orangy marinade for maximum flavour.
When braaiing the seville orange chicken skewers, ensure each side gets about eight to ten minutes grilling time. The unique marinade will add so much to your braai time that you may develop a new addiction after just one bite.
So, light a fire, grab your braai gear and let the sizzling begin. Some mouth-watering orange chicken skewers are coming your way. Don’t be surprised if these piquant skewers become a new family favourite.
Seville orange chicken skewers recipe
Course: MainCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into thick cubes
¼ cup Maggi sauce (or soy sauce)
¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
½ tablespoon white pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ tablespoon corn-starch
- In a medium bowl, combine the Maggi sauce (or soy sauce), orange juice, orange zest, vegetable oil, garlic, white pepper (optional), and black pepper. Stir well until combined.
- Add the chicken breast and stir to coat. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight). You can also store the marinated chicken breasts in a sealable Ziploc bag.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and reserve the marinade.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, adding about 6 – 7 pieces of cubed chicken breasts for each skewer. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before you thread the chicken on and grill to stop them from burning.
- Lightly brush olive oil over the grill or grill pan. Preheat the grill over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the oil starts sizzling and shimmering.
- Place the skewers spaced evenly apart on the grill and grill for 8 – 10 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 74°C. Do not overlap the skewers at any time to ensure even cooking for all the skewers.
- Place the reserved marinade over the grill. Add corn-starch and stir continuously with a spoon to dissolve, until the sauce starts to thicken and forms a smooth and thick sauce. You don’t need much sauce; a tablespoon is enough for coating the chicken.
- Transfer the skewers onto a plate and drizzle with the orange sauce.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest